The Church of San Giovanni Battista and San Lorenzo in Formia
The first church in Formia dedicated to San Lorenzo was founded in the year 831, and the church of San Giovanni Battista dated from 1566. Both were situated in the old village of Mola in Via Tullia (now Via Abate Tosti). Until the 18th century the two churches were separated by a wall which was later destroyed. The two churches then became combined into one, and consisted of two naves. Sadly this church was destroyed during the bombing of Formia in the Second World War. After the war a new church was created which was completed in 1953, however was not consecrated until 1967.
The church houses the precious Baroque wooden statue of San Giovanni Battista, one of the patron saints of the town of Formia. There is also a statue of San Lorenzo. It also contains some works of art saved from the original church including a 15th century canvas of the Madonna and Child Between San Sabastiano and San Lorenzo by Antoniazzo Romano. This has been recently restored. Another painting depicts the Madonna di Ponza which is by the 16th century artist Geronimo Stabile. This was the former altarpiece of the 15th century Church of the Madonna di Ponza.