Church of Santa Teresa d’Avila
The Church and Convent of Santa Teresa d’Avila is located in Piazza Guglielmo Marconi in the centre of Formia, close to the town hall. It was built in 1700 in a baroque style and has a single nave. It underwent reconstruction during the Bourbon era. The main altar and ballastrade is of made of marble. There are also several side altars and chapels. The church contains several paintings by the contemporary artist Antonio Sicurezza amongst other pieces of art. Antonio Sicurezza lived much of his life in Formia and died there in 1979. The former Carmelite monastery dates back to the 800’s and is awaiting restoration. The complex was badly damaged in the bombardments of World War II.
The feast day of Santa Teresa is held on the the 15 October.