More Churches of Formia
Church of Santa Teresa d’Avila
The Church and Convent of Santa Teresa d’Avila is located in Piazza Guglielmo Marconi in Formia and was built in 1700. It contains several paintings by the contemporary artist Antonio Sicurezza. The former Carmelite monastery dates back to the 800’s and is awaiting restoration. The complex was damaged in the bombardments of World War II.
The Church of Sant’Anna
The Church of Sant’Anna, was once known as Santa Maria del Forno, probably because it was located close-by to an oven. It is located in the heart of the medieval district of Castellone and dates back to the 10th century and was possibly constructed on the site of a pagan temple. It houses a fresco of the Birth of the Virgin and other works dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. It is open on the evening of 1 June and during the month of December each year, when a beautiful nativity scene is exhibited.
Church of San Rocco
Church of San Rocco was built in 1474 and has a single nave. It houses a 16th century oil triptych of The Virgin and Child with San Rocco and San Sebastiano, by the Neapolitan painter Girolamo Stabile. Sadly part this work has recently been stolen. It is located near to the Torre dell’Orologio in the Castellone district.
Church of Santa Maria di Castagneto
The Church of Santa Maria di Castagneto is located adjacent to the cemetery. It is the oldest surviving church in Formia dating from 1170 and was constructed on the remains of a Roman temple. It was founded by the Benedictines and was located within a thick chestnut grove, from which its name is derived. The church was renovated between 1935 – 1936. It has a characteristic bell tower which stands in front of the facade of the building. Incorporated into the external wall are numerous roman relics, taken from the remains of the roman temple. The interior of the structure has one aisle and is paved in ceramics of a primitive style. The church also has the remains of some medieval frescoes.
Church of La Madonna del Carmine
The church of the Madonna del Carmine is situated in Via Rubino. The original church was destroyed during the Second World War and was rebuilt in 1959-1960.
Church of Santa Maria della Noce
The small 10th century church of Santa Maria della Noce is located high on a hill above Formia. The dome and the bell tower are Byzantine in style. Inside the church has two aisles. Here there are also the ruins of a small 11th century Benedictine Monastery built by the monks of Montecassino. Inside there is a 16th century oil painting of the Madonna and Child with a Walnut Tree and the Saints Benedict and Erasmo. The church is only open on Pasquetta (Easter Monday) when many locals organise a day out with a picnic in the surrounding countryside.
The Chapel of Stella Maris
Church of Santa Maria di Ponza
The church of Santa Maria di Ponza in Formia was built by monks who had been forced to abandon their monastery on the Pontine island due to Saracen attacks. The church dates back to the 15th century. Above the altar there was an ancient picture dedicated to the Madonna, now kept in the Church of San Giovanni Battista and San Lorenzo.
Church of San Remigio
The small Church of San Remigio is part of a private villa which overlooks the bay of Gaeta. Originally it was owned by the Piccolomini family, however later possession passed to the Gattola family and later to the Griffi family. The church dates from 1490 and has a single nave. The walls bear traces of some floral frescoes and there is a painting of San Remigio.
Formia has several modern churches which include the modern circular church of Sacro Cuore di Gesù in Via Garibaldi Giuseppe, the Church of San Giuseppe Lavatore in Via Rio Fresco, the Church of Il Cuore Immacolato di Maria in Via Appia Lato Napoli and the Church of Cuore Eucaristico di Gesù’ on the plain of Penitro.
Photos have been accredited to the Photographer / Owner or with details of the appropriate Creative Commons License.
Images marked * are in the Public Domain.
All other photos I have taken myself and belong to me © Louise Shapcott